Re: Chickens are Myrmecophages

On Wed, May 23rd, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dann's point makes one wonder that Tyrannosaurus-sized omnivorous
> birds would have likely feasted on most mammals, including almost all
> primates and terrestrial carnivores. Whatever impeded avialans
> reaching the maximal size of other coelurosaurs, it seems to have been
> good for mammals...

Dromornithids may have been been the bane of many a small- to medium-sized
mammal - and at
a fraction of the size of a tyrannosaur.

Although I'd imagine there'd be a point where the meal was so small that a
tyranno-chicken
wouldn't bother wasting any energy trying to catch it. I recently saw some
lions at an open-range
zoo who happened to be on a starve day (so we missed seeing them get fed), and
they payed no
attention at all to the tiny fairy wrens foraging about them.

Dann Pigdon