Re: Largest Camarasaurus specimens

Giraffatitan also had a lot more neck (which is a lot less dense and not very
voluminous) and a lot less tail. I got a mass of 31 tonnes for Giraffatitan
doing a GDI off of Greg Paul's 1988 paper reconstruction (this used a 300
kg/m^3 density for the neck, 800 kg/m^3 for the torso and tail, and 1000 kg/m^3
for the limbs, with an overall average density of ~761 kg/m^3=0.761 kg/L). The
largest specimens may have been a bit bigger, the "HMN XV2" 1340 mm fibula
listed by Paul might have massed ~44 tonnes if scaled isometrically to "HMN
SII".

Greg's mass estimate is probably too high for C. supremus (23 tonnes for a 18
meter specimen), but a 23 meter specimen scaled off of that would give a mass
of roughly 48 tonnes.