Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

On 5/24/2012 11:08 AM, Scott Hartman wrote:

I think that's eminently reasonable Don - the question now is when did
the transition start to happen, and on that I think there will still
be a bit of disagreement, but perhaps it would make for a more
fruitful discussion.

Which transition?

Passive gliding to power flapping, or the fully 'non-opposable' to opposable hallux -- both as interpreted by various authors form the physical record -- or do you mean the philosophical transition away from the idea that the perching foot is an essential prerequisite to a 'tree-down' or gliding-first flight evolution scenario?

Or even the transition away the strict passive-or-active flight evolution dichotomy?