RE: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

Fire caves, from forest fires in conifer forests, are plenty big enough for
nesting. I've observed many of them in the Cascade Mountains. Condors nest in
them. I would assume, from what I've read on Jurassic charcoal, that Mesozoic
forests were rife with them

Other animals, such as Marbled Murrelet, roost and/or nest on the surprisingly
flat upper surfaces of large limbs, and their crotches. In modern redwood
forests these surfaces are large enough to support stands of ferns and
huckleberry bushes.

Also I have photographs of the Diving Petrel, which lacks halluces, nesting on
wide boughs and roosting in slender branches. Of course they get up there by
flapping flight, but then they scramble around just fine.

I suppose there is some value to pure a priori reasoning and hypothesizing,
like "to sleep in a tree, you need a way to hold yourself in there _while
sleeping_". It is good to let one's mind rove in creative ways and to make
clear, unqualified, proposals as part of reasoning. But whenever I catch myself
making an assumption like that it feels really good to quickly scan the
literature and confirm or deny it. It turns out to be definitely false in the
case of Diving Petrel.