RE: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

On Fri, May 25th, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I think sleeping in trees came next-to-last, followed only by nesting in
> > trees. That's because
> to sleep in a tree, you need a way to hold yourself in there _while
> sleeping_. That can be a
> specialized foot, a big hole in the tree, or a nest; ways of building nests
> in trees may not be
> very easy to evolve, and finding holes big enough for anything the size of
> *Archaeopteryx* or
> *Xiaotingia* or *Anchiornis* or any kind of *Microraptor* is difficult. --
> I'm sure I've
> overlooked other possibilities. What are they?
>
> Enlarge the hole in a tree.
>
> Lay down on the branch.
>
>  Granted, the koala method (plop down at the fork of branches and shove one's
> bottom into the
> split) isn't really an option for archosaurs.

Leopards certainly don't need to hold on when they sleep in a tree. A quick
google image search
of "leopard sleeping in tree" reveals quite a gallery of casual branch-draping,
with no hint of a claw
being used to grip onto anything.

The pubic boot of most theropods would seem to make that an uncomfortable way
to sleep - except
for dromaeosaurs of course, with their retroverted pubes.

Now that'd make for an interesting illustration - a group of sleeping
dromaeosaurs draped leopard-
style over the branches of a large tree, with their tails hanging down
vertically beneath them.

Dann Pigdon