Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

On May 25, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Don Ohmes wrote:

> On 5/24/2012 12:44 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>> But if you're a theropod, and you want to spend a large
>> part of your life sitting on boughs or branches, you need to have a
>> way of holding on.
>
> Evidence, please...
>
> In particular, evidence of the need for special equipment, beyond the
> standard small theropod package.

Wouldn't the evidence in this case just be comparative studies of arboreal
adaptations?  Not sure what else it could be.  We don't have any non-avian
theropods handy to throw into a tree (wouldn't that be fun, though, if we did?
Theropod chucking.  New sport).

Like Scott, I find your model of arboreal refugia quite reasonable.  I'm
wondering, though, what testable predictions your model would make compared to,
for example, a model that posits entirely terrestrial habits for paravians.  I
think the roosting/resting concept has serious merit, but I'm not sure how to
go about demonstrating it has serious merit more formally (thought experiments
and scenario building are fun, but not terribly useful).

Also, for all of the individuals in the current thread: we should be sure to
give good cause at each step for putting paravians in trees to begin with.  The
potentially intuitive nature of arboreal proto-flight does not constitute good
cause.

--Mike

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Biology