Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

On May 25, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Augusto Haro wrote:

> 2012/5/25 Habib, Michael <MHabib@chatham.edu>
>

>  there are many other ways to use wings than gliding, even without powered
> flight.
>
> What would be these? I just imagine soaring, or some other function which has
> nothing to do with aereal locomotion.

Control functions (turning, braking, etc), leaping, WAIR, etc

> Incidentally, if it launch from the ground (huge if) there's no particular
> reason to expect it ran to do so.
>
> A jump would be better than running for a launch?

In most cases, yes, a jump is more effective.  Even most running launches
actually end in a leap.  If you want to see quick and easy evidence of this,
take a look at stills of launching waterbirds - if they were actually building
up launch speed and transitioning to wing-dominated propulsion gradually, then
the water displacement (i.e. splashes) would get smaller over the course of the
run.  In actuality, they tend to be quite consistent, until the last one -
which is nearly always much larger than the rest.  Animals do not launch like
airplanes.

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib