Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

GSPaul <GSP1954@aol.com> wrote:

> I have measured central toe claw curvature in a large number of specimens
> with complete keratin sheaths via high res images and they are strongly
> curved and in the arboreal range. No bird that has such hook toe claws spends
> much time on the ground. This will effectively close the case on this, and
> past
> publications on this are errant becaus they did not have access to quality
> images of a lot of specimens. Can't discuss this openly because some
> journals won't then consider the paper.

Thanks for the info.  I look forward to the publication and to the
mooted data.  As a way of making the manuscript as strong as possible,
and just in case you haven't adopted this approach already: when
discussing claw curvature it's a good idea to differentiate
"trunk-climbing" and "perching" in the context of arboreality.  Also
helps to differentiate claw curvature in predatory birds (many of
which don't spend much time on the ground).  I'm sure these are things
that have occurred to you already, but I guess it can't hurt to
mention them.

Anthony Docimo <keenir@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Given that those modern bird you name, are all *groups* of birds, I
> completely expect that they'd be a bad comparison with *A. lithographica*. (If
> you were to use that, as it, you wouldn't be comparing apples with lemons,
> you're comparing apples with citruses (or apples with fruits))
>
> So perhaps the question should be, of those pigeons, which are in the same
> morphospace as *A. lithographica*? (and the same for the birds of
> prey, trogons, galliforms)

No, I don't think it makes a difference.  The differences in
locomotory styles (hip-based vs knee-based) means that using hindlimb
proportions to compare _Archaeopteryx_ to *any* modern avian has
profound limitations.

Cheers

Tim