RE: Microraptor hanqingi, and what claws grip

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:14:36 +1000
> From: tijawi@gmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.
>

> To complicate things further, if deinonychosaurs used their feet for
> grasping (as proposed by the Raptor Prey Restraint hypothesis) , then
> would we be able to distinguish trunk-climbing adaptations from
> predatory ones?
>
> In other words, would adaptations used by _Deinonychus_ to grasp and
> hold onto large prey be that much different to adaptations used by
> _Microraptor_ to scale a thick trunk? I'm not saying that
> _Microraptor_ DID climb up trunks. But IF it did....would we know
> from the morphology of the pes?

It would probably help to have a good sample size of prey hides and tree (and
"tree") barks....just like not all fish have the armor skin of Alligator Gar
*Atractosteus spatula*, not all trees would have the equally heavy-duty bark.

(would it be irony if it turned out the prey had tougher hides than the trees
did?  so when maniraptors started putting their claws on trees, they went
through like machetes through banana trees  (knife through hot butter,
basically))