Re: Microraptor hanqingi, new species from China.

> And indeed, he didn't send that message to the list (or at least I
> never got it). Tim, be ashamed, you made the mistake I just made
> four hours earlier. List administrators, please consider deleting
> Tim's post.

 No need to worry. It was meant for everyone.

Looks like it. I apologise.

 To complicate things further, if deinonychosaurs used their feet for
 grasping (as proposed by the Raptor Prey Restraint hypothesis) ,
 then would we be able to distinguish trunk-climbing adaptations from
 predatory ones?

 In other words, would adaptations used by _Deinonychus_ to grasp and
 hold onto large prey be that much different to adaptations used by
 _Microraptor_ to scale a thick trunk? I'm not saying that
 _Microraptor_ DID climb up trunks. But IF it did....would we know
 from the morphology of the pes?

Good point. There are, to sum up, at least three things to distinguish: branch-grasping, trunk-grasping (which may -- I speculate -- show in very different ways depending on the bark of the trees in question), and prey-grasping; they're not mutually exclusive, but one doesn't automatically imply any of the other two.