Re: Bird diversification through time

Here we present, analyse and  map the first complete dated phylogeny
> of all 9,993 extant species of birds

That's a supertree, right? :-/

We find that birds have  undergone a strong increase in
> diversification rate from about 50 million years ago to the near
> present.

...One does not simply calculate diversification ( = cladogenesis) rates from a tree that only contains extant taxa. That would amount to assuming an extinction rate of 0, which is (alas) empirically wrong.

Does the paper try to do anything about this problem? I don't currently have access, and the connection in this hotel is usually too slow and intermittent anyway.