Re: Vertebrate long bone strength (implications for dinosaurs)

Thanks to Ben for posting this heads up.  I just grabbed the full paper (it's
free!) and am giving it a read through.  I am quite enjoying the manuscript and
the topic is of great importance.  My one critique would be that while the MS
certainly shows that FEA and beam theory get very different answers for
compressive strength estimation, it isn't clear from the paper how the authors
know that FEA is getting closer to the right answer.  They presume this is the
case (so far as I can tell so far) based on violations of assumptions in beam
theory, but FEA makes assumptions, as well, and it isn't clear how the authors
are dealing with that side of things.  In the conclusions, they do seem to take
note of this issue:

"Future studies applying FEA to long bone stress estimation
should proceed with caution, however, particularly when variables
such as applied forces and material properties remain
uncertain. This is necessarily the case in palaeontological
studies, and, therefore, sensitivity analyses should be carried
out in order to quantify the effect of the error introduced by
these unknowns. It must be emphasized that applying an
overly simplified FEA model to a complex biomechanical problem
may result in incorporating just as many assumptions
into the analysis as the application of classic beam theory."

Cheers,

--Mike H.