Re: Media Giving Back to Science

The BBC has funded a couple of shows with attempts to do real science. 'Live
from Dinosaur Isle' was live coverage of a week long attempt to find dinosaurs
in Wealden deposits on the Isle of Wight, UK. It was only partly successful on
all counts (not helped by the sporadic occurrences of dinosaurs in the Wealden:
there are very few sites where you're guaranteed to find anything), but the
intention, at least, was to find some new dinosaur material.

Secondly, the Beeb funded the construction of the robotic Velociraptor leg that
Phil Manning and colleagues published on in 2006
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00cjj8l). This is the only example I can
think of where a documentary has attempted to directly investigate biomechanics
rather than funding digs.

That reminds me: I think Channel 4 also funded an exhibition to Morocco to
search for Spinosaurus once.

Mark

--

Dr. Mark Witton
www.markwitton.com

Tel: (44)2392 842418
E-mail: Mark.Witton@port.ac.uk

If pterosaurs are your thing, be sure to check out:

- Pterosaur.Net: www.pterosaur.net
- The Pterosaur.Net blog: http://pterosaur-net.blogspot.com/
- My palaeontological artwork: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.co.uk/
>>> David Krentz  29/11/12 10:05 PM >>>
  Are there any successful or even lucrative instances of Paleontology being
funded by a media project?  So many films and docs use all your hard work,
often with little- if any- compensation.  How can they give something back to
science and have both parties benefit mutually?