Re: Ornithomimus had feathers and "display" winglike forelimbs

Henrique Niza <nizasaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exciting discovery, although not unexpected.

I'm surprised!  For me, this discovery was unexpected.  I fully
expected ornithomimids to be feathered - but NOT to have long
pennaceous feathers sticking out of their arms!  It's nice to be
surprised.

Before this discovery, I had deluded myself into thinking that large
proto-wings (pennibrachia) were unique to Maniraptora, and probably
originally evolved for aerial locomotion (parachuting/gliding).  So
much for that hypothesis!  But it's fun to have an hypothesis that can
be tested - even if it's refuted.

Cheers

Tim