RE: Sinocalliopteryx (Theropoda: Compsognathidae) ate confuciusornithids and dromaeosaurids

Although individual specimens might be crushed, it should be possible to
retrodeform skulls to find the original orientation. This is especially
true of taxa which are abundant, for which there are specimens flattened
in different orientations.

On Sat, September 1, 2012 2:09 pm, Ben Creisler wrote:
> From: Ben Creisler
> bcreisler@gmail.com
>
> One possible clue to flying ability, of course, would be the
> development and shape of the brain--see the link below. Unfortunately,
> as far as I recall, most if not all the known fossils of
> Confuciusornis and Microraptor, as well as many other birds and
> dromaeosaurs from China, were found in a crushed condition that makes
> detailed and accurate 3-D study of the shape of the braincase
> difficult if not impossible. Are there any specimens of Confuciusornis
> or other Chinese Mesozoic birds/dromaeosaurids from Liaoning that are
> not flattened on a slab?
>
> http://www.livescience.com/10358-fossilized-bird-brains-yield-secret-flights.html

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084