Theropod teeth from Cretaceous Kem Kem Beds in Morocco

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Ute Richter, Alexander Mudroch and Lisa G. Buckley (2012)
Isolated theropod teeth from the Kem Kem Beds (Early Cenomanian) near
Taouz, Morocco.
Paläontologische Zeitschrift (advance online publication)
DOI: 10.1007/s12542-012-0153-1
http://www.springerlink.com/content/176rl01877643576/

Thirty-seven well-preserved, isolated theropod teeth from the Early
Cenomanian Kem Kem beds, Morocco, are identified by using morphometric
data and direct comparison with teeth previously described in the
literature. Direct comparison reveals that four different morphotypes
(MT 1–4) are present in the sample. The teeth of MT 1 are
characterised by unserrated carinae and belong to spinosaurid
dinosaurs. The teeth of MT 2–4 have serrated carinae, and our data
analysis indicates they are of carcharodontosaurid, dromaeosaurid, and
abelisaurid origin. Three types of crown enamel ornamentation are
present among the teeth of MT 1, which implies that, apart from
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus STROMER 1915, more than one species of
spinosaurine theropods may be present in the Early Cenomanian of
Northern Africa. Our results also confirm the occurrence of
abelisaurids, dromaeosaurids, and carcharodontosaurids in Morocco.