RE: Ornithischian dinosaur quadrupedality

David Marjanovic wrote, quoting from an abstract:

<"[...] a femur longer than the tibia are found to be robust correlates of
quadrupedality in ornithischian dinosaurs."

Can this effect be distinguished from the correlations to size and to
cursoriality?>

  Yes, technically. Or at least, in my assumptions, it should be correlated to
distal insertions on the femoral shaft of the leg retractor muscles, such as
caudofemoralis and iliofemoralis. These also imply a relatively vertical femur.
Otherwise, we'd be told that large tyrannosaurids and abelisaurids are
quadrupeds. Think about that one for a second.

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)
  http://qilong.wordpress.com/