Re: New Revueltosaurus find in Arizona (news stories)

Dear fellow listmembers,

Just to clarify these recent news articles.  This summer we reopened
the Revueltosaurus Quarry, a site at Petrified Forest National Park
where we had found some of the first recognized non-dental material of
the pseudosuchian Revueltosaurus callenderi (once though to be an
early ornithischian dinosaur).  This quarry was first discovered in
2004 and worked through 2006 producing the remains of at least 8
individuals, including one well-preserved, nearly complete specimen.
We also have a nearby locality that has produced material from at
least four more individuals, as well as many other common Late
Triassic vertebrates. The initial find was covered in a paper (Parker
et al., 2005) and the subsequent finds were talked about at SVP in
2005 and 2007.

This past summers (2012) work produced material from at least three
more specimens, including another that appears to be much of a
skeleton.  Preparation will continue through the coming year and we
will reopen the quarry again next summer.  In the meantime we are
finishing up a monograph based on the specimens collected from
2004-2006.

The news stories are the result of this years' findings although some
of the timed details are getting mixed up.

regards,

Bill Parker