Re: Mesozoic giant fleas from northeastern China

The pdf that saves to your computer merely lacks the extension - just add
'.pdf' to the file downloaded, and all is well

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new non-dino article that may be of interest. The article is open
access--it opens online and can be read--but I could not get it to
download as a pdf. When I tried to download and save, it displayed as
a string of digits instead of pdf format.

Di Ying Huang, Michael S. Engel, Chen Yang Cai & André Nel (2013)
Mesozoic giant fleas from northeastern China (Siphonaptera): Taxonomy
and implications for palaeodiversity.
Chinese Science Bulletin (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1007/s11434-013-5769-3
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11434-013-5769-3

The recently discovered definite giant fleas from the Middle Jurassic
Daohugou fauna and the Early Cretaceous Jehol fauna of northeastern
China represent significant evidence for understanding ectoparasitism
in the Mesozoic as well as the evolution of these giant blood feeders
with their putative hosts (i.e. hairy or feathered vertebrates). On
the basis of seven well-preserved specimens from Daohugou and
Huangbanjigou we analyse the systematic classification of these
primitive fleas, establishing two new genera and three new species as
Pseudopulex wangi sp. nov., Hadropsylla sinica gen. et sp. nov., and
Tyrannopsylla beipiaoensis gen. et sp. nov. All of them are assigned
to the extinct siphonapteran family Pseudopulicidae, while the Early
Cretaceous genus Tarwinia is transferred to Tarwiniidae fam. nov. The
basal morphological disparities of Siphonaptera in the Mesozoic are
evidenced by the occurrence of at least three distinct groups
(pseudopulicids, tarwiniids, and saurophthirids). These disparate
morphologies likely indicate adaptations to different hosts.