Re: Adult Tyrannosaurus rex morphology

Here's the important issue: before you can assert sexual dimorphism, you
have to demonstrate di-morphism. That is, one has to show that the
population shows two discrete, statistically-distinguishable
subpopulations. This has not yet been done for Tyrannosaurus. Instead, it
has been seen is that there are some specimens which are more robust and
some which are more gracile, but it is not at all clear that they form
something other than a continuum of robusticity.

That said, in one of the few cases where we can reasonable assert the sex
of a dinosaur specimen, the B-rex individual with medullary bone (and
hence mostly likely an ovulating female) is on the robust end of the
spectrum.

On Tue, April 2, 2013 7:58 pm, Matthew Dempsey wrote:
> I apologize if you've already received a similar message, my email is
>playing havoc and the original wouldn't send properly.
>
>Anyway, I've lurked on this mailing list for some time now with lack of
>anything to contribute. However, on my deviantART page I've started a
>series of articles called "thinking about dinosaurs".
>
>This first article is open for discussion and centres around how
>Tyrannosaurus morphology relates to growth and how it may or may not be
>about gender.
>
>I wanted to expand this to other paleo communities other than just
>deviantART, and I'd love some feedback and discussion about the article.
>
>http://sketchy-raptor.deviantart.com/art/THINKING-ABOUT-DINOSAURS-1-TYRANNOSAURUS->REX-363168877
>
>Stay tuned for more!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084