Re: Quarterly Newsletter Questions

Rescued from truncation (hopefully):

From: Violet Stamper <zelkwin@gmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:13:04 -0700
Subject: Quarterly Newsletter Questions

Hi Paleo People!

The Big Horn Basin Foundation publishes a quarterly newsletter aimed at
educators and students called BONES. I've started including a feature
called "Ask a Paleontologist!" where I interview someone in paleo about
subjects like their favorite project and how they got into paleo. If anyone
would like to be our Ask-ee in the future, please let me know at
Foundation@wyodino.org or zelkwin@gmail.com.

That's not the only thing I wanted to ask though. I'm writing about the
earliest nailed primate Teilhardina brandti for BONES because it was
discovered here in the Big Horn Basin. It was first named based on a molar,
which someone outside of paleo might be skeptical of, so I want to write an
explanation of why we can name new species of mammal based on their teeth.
However, I am not a mammalogist, so I would like to ask your input on why
we can coin new species from just teeth. So when you pick up a fossil
tooth, what information are you looking for in order to identify it?

Thanks for reading! I hope to hear from some of you soon!

 Here's a link to the latest BONES if you're curious:
http://www.bhbfonline.org/Bones/BONES10.12.pdf

Violet Stamper