Re: Marsh-Cope rivalry to be movie comedy and other news stories

I am looking forward to scenes  of Marsh being exhorted by his
> colleagues to bear up under the controversy with repeated expressions
> of "Cope, Marsh, cope!".  These will of course be matched with scenes
> of Cope slogging through the bone beds while his comrades exhort him
> to "March, Cope, march!".

That may well happen; but it's not like no really comedic episodes happened in their lives.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8Tj2HvfHRwC&pg=PA193&lpg=PA193&dq=%22osborn,+it%27s+no+use%22&source=bl&ots=fdpoyoT3Qh&sig=iItFOU9K07rxbkA5tq7ys8BcqCw&hl=de&sa=X&ei=HlhhUZP4IYbBtQbmo4CIAw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22osborn%2C%20it%27s%20no%20use%22&f=false

But Case also knew of the happy warrior's darker side. "He hated opponents he could not respect," he wrote, "and gave them heavy blows how and when he could." In two Cope anecdotes, Osborn half-consciously corroborated an impression of calculated vindictiveness. "One day," he wrote, "he slyly opened the lower-right-hand drawer of his study table and said to me: 'Osborn, here is my accumulated store of Marshiana. In these papers I have a full record of Marsh's errors from the very beginning, which at some future time I may be tempted to publish.'" Another time, one of Cope's scientific names [*Anisonchus cophater*, a Miocene mammal] puzzled Osborn. "I had diligently searched the Greek dictionary for the term _cophater_," he recalled, "because I had always found Cope's specific, as well as generic, terms highly consistent. He remarked: 'Osborn, it's no use looking up the Greek derivation of _cophater_, because it is not classic in origin. It is derived from the [impeccably Greek-style] union of two English words, Cope and hater, for I have named it in honor of the number of Cope-haters that surround me.'" Such caprices are reminiscent of a Webster or Shakespeare character -- and not one of the pleasanter ones. Wallace Stegner, a Powell partisan, grew eloquent on Cope's balefulness. "The geological survey was very truly a consolidation, and contained men of all four of the original western surveys in its personnel," he wrote, "but one man it could not placate was Professor E. D. Cope. He took over Hayden's place as the leader of anti-Powell forces among
<<

The next page isn't shown in the preview today. Let's try again tomorrow.