Re: Romer's Gap tetrapod dig begins in Scotland (news story)

Yes, I agree with the comment you mentioned below, but the article is
extremely vague. I spent much of my career analyzing paleoenvironments in
drill cores and drill samples, so I know this could be successful. But I
cannot see how they plan to spend $484 thousand on this hole. On my last
major drilling project, I drilled seven core holes  taking 4 inch diameter
core samples with complete recovery, some holes as deep as 1000 feet, and  I
did it for less than this sum.

When I was actively working, I frequently was involved in core drilling, and
it is no where this expensive.

Clair Russell Ossian, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Geology
Tarrant County College