Re: Marsh-Cope rivalry to be movie comedy and other news stories

Ben Creisler wrote:

It appears it may be difficult to come up with a sustained comic take
on the Marsh and Cope rivalry.

Well... for an *adult* audience, anyway. Plus, looking back at this, some of the humor was unintended.

For a sort of comic take on paleontology in 19th century, this old
episode of the Rin Tin Tin TV show "Rinty Finds a Bone" comes to mind.
I remember watching this as a kid. In this case, though, the two
paleontologists are brothers (not rivals) and evidently come from
Germany or some German-speaking region of Europe. Apologies to DML
members in Germany and Austria for the stereotype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hen-mM8Bic

Fascinating on so many levels! This was an episode from 1956. I'm pretty sure "Rin Tin Tin" was a Saturday morning kids' TV staple for several years after its 1954-1959 initial run -- still, it's been [*ahem*] a few decades since I've seen Rinty in action.

I think we should appropriate the phrase "Rin Tin Tin Expedition," which was coined in the episode, and re-apply it to any research which begins in earnest but ends with preposterous results.

-- Donna Braginetz