Re: Jurassic Park 4 - new dinosaur, no feathers

  Take a look at the trailer for The Owls of Ga'Hoole relaesed in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkSZpun0sE

This was done by Animal Logic for a budget a fraction of a pixar movie and its
all feathered characters ALL the time.  The good news is that that this vendor
is using the same software to create feathers for dinosaurs in the upcoming
Walking With Dinosaurs 3D feature.  Making feathers iridescent is indeed a big
achievement, but it is achievable.  On Dinosaur Revolution the Gigantoraptor
story called for very flashy feathers.  One of our shader writers who was
fairly new to the industry figured out a way to do it in three or four days-
not even a full weeks salary.