 From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Jurassic Park 4 - new dinosaur, no feathers ,please!

On Wed, Apr 10th, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Paul P <turtlecroc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Komodo dragons are scary. Parrots are not. Crocs are scary.
> Ostriches are fluffy (even if they can kick hard). Heck, even
> a big salamander is kinda scary. Turkeys, while surprisingly
> colorful, well, you get the idea.

You clearly haven't met some of the parrots, roosters, ganders, etc that I
have. Parrots such as
macaws or cockatoos can remove a finger at the joint with relative ease, and
what male fowl may
lack in damage-causing equipment they more than make up for with sheer
aggression and
persistence.

And as for ratites not being very scary - try having a argument with a lone
cassowary. A group of
cassowary-like dromaeosaurs cooperating to bring you down would be an absolute
nightmare, and
that's before factoring in the additional clawed forelimbs and teeth.

Feathered dromosaurs would also be scarier due to the 'uncanny valley' effect.
They'd be bird-like
enough to seem almost familiar, but with just enough differences to be
unsettling.

Dann Pigdon
Spatial Data Analyst               Australian Dinosaurs
Melbourne, Australia              http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj