RE: Jurassic Park 4 - new dinosaur, no feathers ,please!

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:11:03 +1000

> > Komodo dragons are scary. Parrots are not. Crocs are scary.
> > Ostriches are fluffy (even if they can kick hard). Heck, even
> > a big salamander is kinda scary. Turkeys, while surprisingly
> > colorful, well, you get the idea.
>
> You clearly haven't met some of the parrots, roosters, ganders, etc that I
> have. Parrots such as
> macaws or cockatoos can remove a finger at the joint with relative ease, and
> what male fowl may
> lack in damage-causing equipment they more than make up for with sheer
> aggression and
> persistence.
>
> And as for ratites not being very scary - try having a argument with a lone
> cassowary. A group of
> cassowary-like dromaeosaurs cooperating to bring you down would be an
> absolute nightmare, and
> that's before factoring in the additional clawed forelimbs and teeth.

Experts and some laymen know these facts; most moviegoers might not - or at
least that perception might weigh in the moviemakers' minds: "do we build a new
movie with what has come before, or do we spend money on enough scenes to
convince the viewers that, yes, these are scarybadkilling feathered dinosaurs?"

I fear the intro in JP1, with the kid facing off with Alan Grant and the raptor
claw, may be as close as we get to the desired outcome.

> Feathered dromosaurs would also be scarier due to the 'uncanny valley'
> effect. They'd be bird-like
> enough to seem almost familiar, but with just enough differences to be
> unsettling.

 Though, given how much foliage and shadows obscured the raptors in much of
JP1  (the only one i can recall much of offhand), would most moviegoers notice
the uncanny valley?