Ichthyosaurus breviceps collected by Mary Anning described

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Judy A. Massare and Dean R. Lomax (2013)
An Ichthyosaurus breviceps collected by Mary Anning: new information
on the species.
Geological Magazine (advance online publication)
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0016756813000241
http://128.232.233.5/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8889815&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0016756813000241

An ichthyosaur in the collections of the Sedgwick Museum, Cambridge
(CAMSMX.50187) was collected in the nineteenth century by the renowned
fossil collector Mary Anning, but has never been adequately described
in the literature. As an Anning specimen, it is certainly from the
Lower Jurassic of Lyme Regis, west Dorset. The near complete presacral
skeleton is lying on its left side and includes a complete skull, one
complete and one partial forefin, pectoral bones, all six elements of
the pelvic girdle, and both hindfins. The centra in the anterior
caudal region, however, are from another individual and may have
replaced the original ones. The specimen is identified as
Ichthyosaurus based on the morphology of the humerus and forefin. It
is assigned to I. breviceps on the basis of the relatively short
snout, large eye, and tall neural spines. This is the only known
specimen of I. breviceps to preserve a complete pelvis. Notably, the
ilium is longer than the pubis and ischium, and the pubis is longer
than the ischium. This individual is the largest I. breviceps reported
in the literature, with jaw length of 33.5 cm and estimated length
from snout to tail bend of 1.6 m.