Crocodylomorph eggshells from uppermost Cretaceous of Pyrenees

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A recent online paper not yet mentioned:

Miguel Moreno-Azanza, Blanca Bauluz, José I. Canudo, Eduardo
Puértolas-Pascual & Albert G. Sellés (2013)
A re-evaluation of aff. Megaloolithidae eggshell fragments from the
uppermost Cretaceous of the Pyrenees and implications for
crocodylomorph eggshell structure.
Historical Biology (advance online publication)
DOI:10.1080/08912963.2013.786067
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2013.786067

The Upper Cretaceous outcrops of the Pyrenees yield one of the most
extensive and continuous records of paleoological remains anywhere in
the world. Most of eggs and eggshells have been referred to the
oofamily Megaloolithidae. In this study, we present a revision of
eggshell fragments from the Blasi 2 locality, lattermost Maastrichtian
in age, previously assigned to aff. Megaloolithidae. The presence of a
blocky extinction pattern and basal knobs supports a crocodilian
affinity of these materials. We classify them as Krokolithidae indet.
Three structural layers can be recognised in the Blasi 2 eggshells, a
feature that is shared with other recent eggshells (e.g. Crocodylus
porosus and Crocodylus niloticus) and fossil crocodylomorph eggshells
(Krokolithes wilsoni), which were previously described as single
layered. The new proposed affinity of the Blasi 2 eggshells reduces
the Megaloolithidae oodiversity of the last few million years of the
Cretaceous in the Pyrenees to only two valid ootaxa, Megaloolithus
mamillare and Megaloolithus baghensis. The lack of more complete
material precludes the erection of new ootaxa based on the Blasi 2
material.