RE: Microraptor also ate fish

> the feathers folded up against the leg, it seems it would be harder for the
> feathers to get wet - though it would be easier to shed water when the
> feathers are splayed out.  So, imho, if the feathers were always splayed out,
> it would be easy for the feathers to get wet if there was even a light mist
> on the ground - but that moisture would be lost relatively easily with even a
> light breeze.<

In a "vanishing lake (or creek)" scenario, I would expect the properties of the
substrate to be critical once water levels are so low that an animal exploiting
drought-constrained fish would necessarily contact them - e.g., in the SE US a
very yielding but almost completely non-adhesive sediment is common beneath
ponds in forested areas - it is inconvenient to me when more than meter deep,
but I cannot see that a vertebrate could be trapped, even a small one with
splayed feathers. Perhaps the feathers and wings might even be helpful.

OTOH, certain clays mixed with water might turn feathers into heavy clumps of
mud,  and reduce mobility / cause exhaustion, especially in a small
sight-hunting animal more accustomed to gliding or flying from tree to tree.