Re: Complaining

Greg:

Two points on the cover of My Beloved Brontosaurus. First, the artist
is Mark Stutzman - not a professional paleoartist, but quite a skilled
illustrator. And yes, the sauropod is super huge, but that's because
the dinosaur is larger than life in our collective imagination. I'm
not trying to be cute by saying that. That's intentional. Just like
the thunderclouds moving in to tie in with the dinosaur once called
the "thunder lizard."  Hell, I'm on the cover feeding the dinosaur
flowers. Skin and size is where the suspension of disbelief lies?

As for using the name "Brontosaurus", that's because I'm using the
old, stubby-skulled version of "Brontosaurus" as a baseline to gauge
how far our understanding of dinosaurs has come since the 1980s. I'm
not advocating that "Brontosaurus" come back. The technical groundwork
has not been laid down for that yet. But I'm invoking the old sauropod
as an icon of how new science is altering the dinosaurs that are most
cherished in the public imagination.

- Brian Switek

--
Written in Stone, My Beloved Brontosaurus (Coming April 2013)
http://brianswitek.com/