Re: The skinny on Apato versus Brontosaurus

Alas 20375 is not an articulated specimen, and may include pieces of
camarasaurs or even multiple species of apatosaurs from the same quarry. The
apatosaur stuff from high in the Morrison is a mess. And with the problems with
the specimens on hands, it is not possible to reliably recontruct the
phylogeny of apatosaurs. As we all know, the results of cladograms shift around
and
about all the time. So they are of limited use in determining genera. And
as I mentioned, the types of Apat and Bront have never been properly
described. What needs to be done is to do the work on the types and see how
things
work out. It may then may be better to reboot with by dropping Apatosaurus in
favor of Brontosaurus based on most of one individual. Which would have the
advantage of reviving a popular name. Or maybe not. Let's wait and see
(which could be decades).

GSPaul