Re: Microraptor also ate fish

Mike Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Tim Williams <tijawi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (I can climb some trees - but I have no arboreal
>> adaptations.)
>
> Opposable thumbs? Highly mobile shoulder joint? Stereoscopic vision?

Yes -- and I almost added in my last message "aside from ancestral
primate traits".  :-)

Although these began as arboreal traits, we have co-opted them for
other (non-arboreal) purposes.  For example, although we retain an
opposable thumb, our hands are quite different from the typical
primate condition of a little thumb and the other fingers being long
and curved.  The human thumb is relatively larger and more muscular -
and therefore more opposable - and our other fingers are relatively
shorter and straighter.  Our hands no longer have arboreal
proportions.  Our hands are great for holding clubs to hit each other
over the head, but not so great for climbing trees.

Cheers

Tim