Ceratopsid locomotion Re: Complaining

I published on this with Christiansen in a couple of papers awhile back
available in my CY at your gspauldino.com. It is probable that ceratopsids
trotted or paced rather than galloped even if they were equally fast -- they
have different heritages (rhinos from flexible backed quad small mammals that
galloped, ceratopsids from stiff backed bipeds that added in the forelimbs to
help carry the massive head and add power). It's a different way of doing
things. Add to that the the trot/gallop transition speed at the size of
Triceratops is so high. So I would strongly recommend against showing
Triceratops
sized quadrupeds galloping (likewise indricotheres are so large they would
have trotted even if they could achieve a full run with their flexed,
ungulate limbs). I am altering my Triceratops seems to show them trotting or
pacing. Smaller ceratopsids are more optional, although I will never again
illustrate them galloping (or any quad dinosaur). Since no one supports 5+
tonne
galloping mammals these days no animator should so that. (This does not mean
all big animals were slow like ambling elephants, just means they did not
gallop to do so.)

Ceratopsians small and big may have paced because they are so short coupled
that their limbs could have interfered with one another in a standard trot,
like giraffes.

GSPaul