RE: Definitions of running (was RE: RE: Complaining)

It can't be running, because it doesn't fit my preconceived notion of what
"running" means. I mean, it's not like it uses a better standard to define
gaits, or gait-transitions, such as biomechanical energetics, instead it's this
arbitrary factor about suspension. That means when I HOP, I am "running," but
not when jogging, not when sprinting, unless I have some time where I am not
supported by any part of my feet on the earth. That means when horses TROT,
they aren't running. Thus, by definition, they must be ... what?

Right now, Greg Paul has failed to offer a counter to what Hutchinson said
years ago:

"We
            do find evidence that elephants run in a sense,"
            said first author John Hutchinson, a Stanford
            postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of
            Mechanical Engineering. "It's an intermediate
            sort of gait, but it looks like what we
            biomechanically would call running. They don't leave
            the ground, which is the classical definition, but
            they do seem to bounce, which is the biomechanical
            definition." -- http://news.stanford.edu/pr/03/elephants49.html

I don't have the citations, but Greg's philosophy ignores a lot of
biomechanical data on regarding the nature of "running" in order to enforce the
idea that elephants cannot run. Seriously, what is the problem with elephants
being able to run?

Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden
  The Bite Stuff (site v2)