Re: Way cool kagu

Yesterday, quite by accident, I caught a nature documentary called
"South Pacific" (BBC, 2009).  It featured some marvelous footage of
the kagu - a weird flightless bird on New Caledonia, mentioned by GSP
recently. The kagu's crest of feathers, as well as the wings, were
used in an elaborate courtship display.  The wings were also used in a
threat posture to scare off a predator (New Caledonian crow) that had
its eye on a kagu chick nesting on the forest floor.  As well as
making the bird seem larger, the wing feathers are decorated to make
the bird more intimidating.

The same doco also had some neat footage of the dingiso, an aberrant
New Guinea tree kangaroo.  I was surprised at how bear-like it was.