RE: They did it again

> As an aside, *is there a good term* for the collective of species of
> vertebrates that lived in the Mesozoic era, that fill the
public's
> imagination, including the pterosaurs and plesiosaurs and everything else
> that's not a fish, amphibian, nor mammaliaform? Because
> this will happen forever until there's a substitute term. It's the same
> reason we citizens of the US keep calling ourselves
Americans
> even though plenty of other countries could do the same - there's not another
> good term for it.

Why cluster these together? It isn't even that Mark Trail was doing that: they
had a Permian basal synapsid in there, so it isn't
even Mesozoic!

Why not simply "prehistoric animals"? An accurate term, and one that
encompasses all paleofauna regardless of Era or life habit.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/