Re: Paleozoic tetrapod papers

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Evidently the paper is phylogenetic and non-Linnean (per personal
communication), so the ICZN nomenclatural rules for forming ranked
names above the generic level are not recognized. This allows the
authors to propose Eucacopinae as a clade that looks like a
"subfamily" (with an -inae ending) but really is not, and does not
need to follow ICZN rules and recommendations.

This practice may seem a bit confusing to the unwary when the old
-oidea, -idae,-inae, -ini suffixes are  still used.

Perhaps authors who don't recognize ICZN hierarchies above the genus
could routinely add a brief note to indicate something such as "Clades
above the generic level are intended as unranked and not governed by
ICZN Linnean-hierarchical provisions." Simply called everything a
clade may not alert all readers to a non-Linnean approach.

Some authors may use unranked clades but still follow ICZN rules for
forming and spelling names with the suffixes -oidea, -idae, -inae,
-ini, using the name of an established genus without adding prefixes.
They may also place -oidea before -idae in branching diagrams, -idae
before -inae, etc. This is not really a problem. The ICZN rules are
generally followed in name formation and sequencing, but any
implication of a true Linnean hierarchy is rejected.

Other authors may create unranked clades with the suffixes -oidea,
-idae, -inae, etc., but may name such clades based on a term that is
not a generic name (i.e, Eucacopinae). In such cases, I think some
direct statement that the authors do not recognize ICZN rules in name
formation for clades other than genus and species would be helpful.