NMNH Department of Paleobiology - Hiatus in Research Visits and Outgoing Loan Preparation

    Hello all. The following information is being distributed on behalf of the
Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History Department of
Paleobiology staff. Please direct any inquires regarding collections access and
loans to paleovisits@si.edu.
NMNH Department of Paleobiology - Hiatus in
Research Visits and Outgoing Loan Preparation

The Department of Paleobiology Collections Management
team will cease preparing and shipping outgoing specimen loans for nine months
beginning November 1, 2013. We will also be unable to host research visitors
for a period of one year beginning on the same date. These reductions in
service are required by the large amount of collections work involved in the
renovations of our permanent exhibits, and may be shortened or extended
depending on exhibit needs; we will announce any changes.

The Department of Paleobiology will continue to receive
and process loan returns and loan extension requests.  Paleo Collections
Management will continue to process and ship loan returns of material borrowed
from other institution as per loan agreements.

Please send questions to Paleo Collections Management at paleovisits@si.edu

For more information about the renovation of the NMNH
fossil exhibits follow our page on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/deeptime.smithsonian

Outgoing Loans
·         Paleo Collections Management staff will be
unable to prepare and ship outgoing loans from November 1, 2013 through August
1, 2014.
·         Requests for exceptions, including loans to be
hand-carried, should be sent to Paleo Dept. Chair, Brian Huber.

Research Visits
·         Paleo Collections Management staff will be
unable to host research visitors from November 1, 2103 through November 1,
2014.
·         Requests for exceptions should be sent to Paleo
Dept. Chair, Brian Huber. It may be possible to arrange research visits through
individual curators.
·         Visitors alread
me
period will remain on our schedule. Please contact your host if you have any
questions.

Thank you,
Michelle Pinsdorf