Re: on Gastornis

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

The use of the term "terror bird" for Gastornis and Diatryma (which
may be the same animal as Gastornis) shows up in a number of places,
and reflects ideas from a few years back. Note that "terror bird" is
only a nickname for phorusrhacids, not the meaning of the scientific
name itself.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/11/debating-diatryma/

"That’s why a presentation given by Estelle Bourdon of London’s
Natural History Museum at last week’s Society of Vertebrate
Paleontology conference caught my attention. The title was “Gastornis
is a terror bird: New insights into the evolution of the Cariamae
(Aves, Neornithes).” I knew that results presented at conferences are
often preliminary and subject to change, but I was really hoping that
Bourdon would restore Gastornis to the image I grew up with."

I posted a version of the abstract for Tütken et al. yesterday, but
all the scientific notation makes it bit hard to read in plain text:

http://dml.cmnh.org/2013Aug/msg00138.html