Re: Europelta, new nodosaur from Early Cretaceous of Spain

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

For the record, the official pdf is now available (with the muddled
definition of Struthiosaurinae retained):

James I. Kirkland, Luis Alcalá, Mark A. Loewen, Eduardo Espílez, Luis
Mampel & Jelle P. Wiersma (2013)
The Basal Nodosaurid Ankylosaur Europelta carbonensis n. gen., n. sp.
from the Lower Cretaceous (Lower Albian) Escucha Formation of
Northeastern Spain.
PLoS ONE 8(12): e80405.
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0080405
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0080405

Nodosaurids are poorly known from the Lower Cretaceous of Europe. Two
associated ankylosaur skeletons excavated from the lower Albian
carbonaceous member of the Escucha Formation near Ariño in
northeastern Teruel, Spain reveal nearly all the diagnostic recognized
character that define nodosaurid ankylosaurs. These new specimens
comprise a new genus and species of nodosaurid ankylosaur and
represent the single most complete taxon of ankylosaur from the
Cretaceous of Europe. These two specimens were examined and compared
to all other known ankylosaurs. Comparisons of these specimens
document that Europelta carbonensis n. gen., n. sp. is a nodosaur and
is the sister taxon to the Late Cretaceous nodosaurids Anoplosaurus,
Hungarosaurus, and Struthiosaurus, defining a monophyletic clade of
European nodosaurids– the Struthiosaurinae.