Re: Protoceratopsoid tails adapted for swimming

I will have to look carefully at the original paper, which I have not a chance
to do yet. However, one caution with swimming adaptations is that efficient
swimming is not merely a matter of moving a flat tail laterally. The manner in
which the tail moves and transfers momentum to the water is quite important.
Nearly any big flat tail that has base mobility can be used in swimming if need
be, but not just any big flat tail is particularly good at it, and therefore
the range of tail morphologies we would conclude to be specializations for
swimming are different from the array that can manage.

Cheers,

—Mike