Re: Caution: tool-wielding reptile on board

Regarding the title of the ScienceShot article, "First Example of Tool Use in
Reptiles";

If crocodylians (as archosaurs) can be considered 'reptiles', then surely birds
are reptiles too? In
which case, crocodylians aren't the first reptiles known to use tools.

If you kick birds out of the reptile club, then surely other archosaurs (in an
act of solidarity) would
leave as well. In which case crocodylians are still not the first reptiles
known to use tools, as tool
use amongst 'reptiles' remains unobserved.

Not that the term 'reptile' has much taxonomic validity anyway.

On Fri, Dec 6th, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ben Creisler
> bcreisler@gmail.com
>
> I posted the link a few days back in a news item but the article is
> now in open access so the pdf is free:
>

> Crocodile tool use

> Dinets, V., Brueggen, J. C. & Brueggen, J. D. 2013.
> Crocodilians use tools for hunting.
> Ethology Ecology & Evolution in press
> DOI: 10.1080/03949370.2013.858276
> http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03949370.2013.858276#.UppgPcRDv8s
>
> Using objects as hunting lures is very rare in nature, having been
> observed in just a handful of species. We report the use of twigs and
> sticks as bird lures by two crocodilian species. At least one of them
> uses this method predominantly during the nest-building season of its
> prey. This is the first known case of a predator not just using
> objects as lures, but also taking into account the seasonality of prey
> behavior. It provides a surprising insight into previously
> unrecognized complexity of archosaurian behavior.
>

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM,  <zenlizard@comcast.net> wrote:
> > New outline about modern-day crocodilians using lures for birding.
> > http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-animals/2013/12/scienceshot-first-example-tool-use-reptiles
> >
> > -zenlizard

Dann Pigdon