RE: Plateosaurus neotype comment from Peter Galton

I'm appalled by the flagrant disregard for the principle of priority by
Galton.  He wants the ICZN to "use its plenary power to set aside all previous
fixations of type species for the nominal genus Plateosaurus Meyer, 1837 and to
designate Plateosaurus trossingensis Fraas, 1913 as the type species" over not
only the fragmentary P. engelhardti type, but also P. longiceps, because...

"Plateosaurus longiceps Jaekel, 1913 (June) from near Halberstadt has priority
over P. trossingensis Fraas, 1913 (November) from Trossingen, the other well
represented species from the Trossingen Formation of Germany. However, the
holotype of P. trossingensis (SMNS 13200) is an almost complete skeleton
(versus skull MB R.1937 for P. longiceps) and it has been extensively
illustrated in the literature as Plateosaurus. The hypodigm (= specimens
available for study) for P. trossingensis is very much more extensive than that
for P. longiceps (details in Galton, 2001a; Schoch, 2011), with numerous
articulated skeletons, several of which have complete skulls (Galton,

1984a, 1985a, 2001a; Weishampel & Westphal, 1986; Prieto-Márquez & Norell,
2011; Schoch, 2011). In addition, the SMNS has been excavating the reopened
type Trossingen quarry since 2007 (Schoch, 2011) whereas the type Halberstadt
quarry was built over in the 1940s."

So now "only" preserving a skull isn't even good enough to be a type species.
Don't even bother naming a species from an incomplete specimen, since someone
could find a more complete example in the future, name it differently
(Sereno... *cough*), then petition to have your name sunk.  It would be tragic
if the ICZN accepts this course of events, but if they do, I have my own plan.
I'll designate the fighting dinosaur specimen IGM 100/25 'Neovelociraptor
mortimeri', then wait a few decades and make the same argument Galton makes
here.  After all, IGM 100/25 is a complete skeleton with good descriptions in
the literature (Barsbold and Osmolska, 1999; Barsbold, 1983), while the
Velociraptor holotype is just a crush
it, really.

Mickey Mortimer