RE: Saurophaganax

For a list of materials, see
http://archosaur.us/theropoddatabase/Carnosauria.htm#Saurophaganaxmaximus .
This all comes from one quarry, and represents at least three large individuals
of similar size and at least one smaller individual (Chure, 2001).  Because the
bones are disarticulated, it's not possible to assign specific bones to
specific individuals.  Note some large allosaurids like the Epanterias holotype
and NMMNH P-26083 (Williamson and Chure, 1996) are more similar to Allosaurus,
so not all big allosaurs can be assumed to be Saurophaganax.

Whether maximus is a species of Allosaurus or its sister genus isn't a
scientific question, since it depends on your personal concept of how to define
a genus.  Currently most experts choose to separate Saurophaganax from
Allosaurus.

The three known teeth of Saurophaganax (Chure, 2001- fig. 221) have FABLs of
22, 26 and 33 mm, but as some Allosaurus individuals were larger than known
Saurophaganax material and some smaller, it's best to say the teeth of these
taxa overlap in size too.

Mickey Mortimer