Re: What are the biggest highlights of modern paleontology?

Now, Reisz is definitely something of an authority on turtle origins. However:

"[..] For years, however,  biologists dismissed Eunotosaurus on the
> grounds that turtle ribs are not expanded, but fused to plates of
> dermal bone. A careful study of Eunotosaurus showed that in almost
> every feature it was nothing like a turtle. Eunotosaurus was
> accordingly dropped from the list of suspects until the discovery of
> Odontochelys, which has expanded ribs of its own, created a brief
> flurry of renewed interest in it. The ribs of Eunotosaurus are,
> however, not really like those of Odontochelys (their shape is
> different, and they wrap around the chest cavity in non-turtle
> fashion).

*Odontochelys* doesn't have expanded ribs either, it has ribs fused to bone plates of unknown origin (their histology hasn't been studied).

Besides, Eunotosaurus lived a  very long time ago—some 45 million
> years before even Odontochelys, more than the distance separating
> turtles from another candidate group, the pareiasaurs. Its role in
> turtle evolution seems, despite superficial similarities, unlikely."

The time gap is of course real, but that's the fossil record for you. *Triadobatrachus* and *Czatkobatrachus*, both of them obvious stem-frogs, lived some 60 Ma before the next two described lissamphibians, *Prosalirus* (stem-frog) and *Eocaecilia* (stem-caecilian).

I'm surprised Reisz brings up the pareiasaurs. Has he ever supported that hypothesis in print? I thought his latest publications on the topic are the ones that propose the procolophonoids as the turtle sister-group? Anyway, the pareiasaurs are quite tempting, but they come with their own problems: off the top of my head, they have sutures between the parasphenoid and the pterygoids in the palate, making the basipterygoid articulations immobile, and so do post-Triassic turtles -- but both *Progano-* and *Odontochelys* retain actual synovial joints there. Also, now that we know what turtle teeth look like, they're plesiomorphic, not elaborated with a long row of extra denticles for cutting leaves like in pareiasaurs... unless *O.* has undergone a reversal.