Re: What are the biggest highlights of modern paleontology?

Just to make it clear again - this is my text, NOT Reisz's, and I didn't mean
to imply that it represented his views on anything other than Eunotosaurus (I
discuss Lee's paraeiasaur ideas further on).  I'm inclined to think he is
leaning towards the archosaur link but I certainly cannot speak for him.

I go into a fair bit of detail on turtle rib embryology earlier in the book
(bear in mind that the book is a popular natural history, not a scentific
treatise!).  Here, though, is some more of what I said about Odontochelys, and
once again, if it contains errors they are mine, not Reisz's!  Mind you if you
can find the book (authors always appreciate this), I'd be curious to know what
you think of the whole palaeo chapter:

>From its discovery in the 1880s until the first decade of the 21st century,
>Proganochelys was the oldest turtle known. Then, in 2008, scientists in China
>announced the discovery of a still older Triassic turtle, about 40–50 cm
>(16–20 in) long, dating from roughly 215–220 million years ago. It has been
>named Odontochelys semitestacea, and if you saw one alive you might well be
>forgiven for wondering just what sort of an animal it was. The name
>semitestacea means “half-shelled,” and though Odontochelys had a fully formed
>plastron and oddly broadened ribs that resemble miniature
cricket bats, the known specimens show almost no trace of a bony carapace.
            Odontochelys represents an earlier stage in turtle evolution than
that of any other fossil turtle so far discovered. Proganochelys had only
palatal teeth, situated not where we have our teeth but on the roof its mouth
(though there are vestiges of teeth on the premaxillary bone at the front of
the jaw). Odontochelys, by contrast (Odontochelys means “toothed turtle”),
still has a reptilian snout lined, like our own jaws,with marginal teeth.
Odontochelys’ ribs join up with its spinal column in a manner typical of other
reptiles rather than later turtles. Though a series of bony neural plates run
with the vertebrae as they do in almost all other turtles. Instead of radiating
forward over the shoulder girdle, the first few ribs appear to point backward
as they do in a turtle embryo before its carapace begins to develop. Does
Odontochelys represent a transitional stage, before turtles had evolved fully
formed shells?
            Its discoverers thought so, but other paleontologists are not so
sure. Robert Reisz, who has examined the specimens, thinks that Odontochelys
represents an animal, like the modern leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea), in
the process of losing a carapace its ancestors once had. He believes that the
anterior ribs may point backward because they became damaged and distorted
after death. The rest of the ribs splay outward as they do in other turtles,
suggesting that the Odontochelys embryo had a carapacial ridge (see page XX
Chapter 1)—something that could hardly have been present if there had been no
carapace (though other scientists point out that the carapacial ridge may have
been present but not, as in modern turtles, complete). Its plastron extends to
the sides between the front and hind limbs, as though it was connecting to, or
bracing, something—perhaps, Reisz suggests, a leathery carapace that once had
 been supported by bone.
            Based on its limb structure,Odontochelys appears to have been an
animal that spent most of its time in the water (though its toe bones are
rather short, a feature recalling more terrestrial turtles). Did turtles evolve
from swimming creatures that did not need extensive bony armor? Or did they
develop from armoured land dwellers, making Odontochelys the first known turtle
to return to the sea? For those searching for the
ultimate turtle ancestor, these questions may be crucial.
Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2
Canada