RE: Whale phylogenetics and evolution

I seriously recommend EVERYONE take a look at this paper! A wonderful synthesis
of recent research on the origin and diversification
of whales, and a great model for review papers.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

swimming,
> loudest, deepest diving mammals, some of which can detect prey with a
> sophisticated echolocation system (Odontoceti - toothed
> whales), and others that batch feed using racks of baleen (Mysticeti - baleen
> whales). A broad-scale reconstruction of the
> evolutionary remodeling that culminated in extant cetaceans has not yet been
> based on integration of genomic and paleontological
> information. Here, we first place Cetacea relative to extant mammalian
> diversity, and assess the distribution of support among
> molecular datasets for relationships within Artiodactyla (even-toed
> ungulates, including Cetacea). We then merge trees derived
from
> three large concatenations of molecular and fossil data to yield a composite
> hypothesis that encompasses many critical events in
the
> evolutionary history of Cetacea. By combining diverse evidence, we infer a
> phylogenetic blueprint that outlines the stepwise
> evolutionary development of modern whales. This hypothesis represents a
> starting point for more detailed, comprehensive
> phylogenetic reconstructions in the future, and also highlights the
> synergistic interaction between modern (genomic) and
traditional
> (morphological + paleontological) approaches that ultimately must be
> exploited to provide a rich understanding of evolutionary
history