Fwd: Rép : Post–K-Pg Radiation of Placentals

Dear List,
 I read (what I could understand of) the pdf this morning; (am but a
fascinated, but innocent lay-person.)
Is the New York Times article about the scientific findings presented this
morning quite okay ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/science/common-ancestor-of-mammals-plucked-from-obscurity.html?hpw

It seems to me that in an effort to present something that would attract the
great unwashed masses, the point of the scientific article has been
re-centered, so that reads like an ode to the discovery of a new species of
shrew.  (I may be exaggerating slightly).

Paula Gaubert
France