Re: Rép : Post–K-Pg Radiation of Placentals -- open access!!!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> It means THIS IS AN OPEN-ACCESS PAPER!
> Here you go:
> http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2013/02/07/339.6120.662.DC1
> Then cackle madly and click on "download supplement"!

Awesome!

I note that they phylogenetically define a number of clade names,
including a few new ones:

- Colbertia: the least inclusive clade comprising the common ancestor
of Orycteropus afer and Loxodonta africana [not sure why that and not
Elephas maximus]
- Pan-Tethytheria: all species more closely related to Tethytheria
than to any other living species
- Pan-Euungulata: Euungulata and all species more closely related to
it than to any other living species [in the text, 'Bos taurus' is used
instead of 'Euungulata' -- clearly a mistake]

Problematically, "Colbertia" is already the name of a notoungulate
genus. And since they find Notoungulata (as represented by
Thomashuxleya eterna) to form part of the tethythere stem group,
Colbertia is a "colbertian"!

Existing phylogenetic definitions are also used, notably many from
Spaulding, O'Leary, and Gatesy (2009).

Some very interesting findings. Perhaps the strangest is Rodhocetus
balochistanensis as a stem-euungulate! (Although Icaronycteris and
Onychonycteris as a clade[!] of stem-microbats [not stem-bats!] is
also odd.)
--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/